Saturday 31 December 2011

50 Words For Snow

In reviewing the music that I've been listening to over the last year earlier this month, I mentioned that I hadn't got round to listening to the latest offering from Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow. Well, I now have.

Compared to her earlier material, which I've only recently really started listening to, the new collection is quite different. In terms of song length, whereas previously these have been between 3:30 and 6:00, the songs on the new album range from just under 7:00 to 13:30. Musically the sound on '50 Words...' is much mellower, and more minimalist in style. Kate's voice has also mellowed with time, and has lost the sharp edge of some of her earlier recordings.

I found it to be a beautiful, meditative, ethereal collection of songs, all loosely around a winter theme (a concept album?). Stand-out songs for me so far are 'Misty', which seems to be an erotic fantasy about a snowman (?), and the album closer, 'Among Angels', which is simply stunning.

Even if you find Kate's music challenging, I would recommend giving this offering a listen. I don't think you'll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment